Clean gold; how to clean at home? Features of the purification of various types of gold products. Description of popular tools used in this method. National cleaning methods and rules for the use of gold jewelry are considered. Gold is a soft precious metal. Gold objects are quickly covered with scratches, and the metal often dulls from contact with sweat and water. For jewelry to always shine and look new, it needs to be adequately cleaned.
Clean gold of different types of gold products
Methods and methods of cleaning are selected depending on the composition of the metal and the presence of precious stones. Smooth rings without stones are easiest to clean. It would help if you were especially careful when wearing jewelry with a matte surface.
Refinement of white gold
White gold is an alloy of base metal with platinum, silver, and palladium. It is these additives that give jewelry its silvery color. Such products also require regular cleaning.
Please note that white gold products are often painted with rhodium; this metal can be removed from the surface if not appropriately handled. Accordingly, chalk or chromium oxide pastes cannot be used for cleaning. GOI paste is also not suitable.
White gold cleaning instructions:
- Pour 500 ml of water into a pot and add a few tablespoons of detergent or laundry detergent.
- Dip the decorations in the solution and place them on the stove.
- Boil for 20 minutes.
- Rinse the jewelry with cold water and dry with a soft cloth. Flannel or velvet will do.
You can clean white gold jewelry with toothpaste. Choose non-abrasive and gel products. Just wet the brush and apply the glue. Massage the product thoroughly. It is better to clean smooth circles this way. Chains and bracelets are poorly cleaned with this method because the brush cannot get between the links.
You can use an exciting recipe to clean white gold. Combine egg yolk and 50 ml beer in a bowl. Saturate a cloth with the viscous mixture and rub the gold jewelry thoroughly.
Forest gold with stones
The cleaning method depends on the hardness of the stones. If your favorite ring contains blocks or zircons, you need to care for the jewelry with a cotton swab and a soft cloth. It is impossible to brush such stones; they can be scratched from this.
Instructions for cleaning gold with hard stones:
- Pour 200 ml of water into a container.
- Add 20 drops of liquid soap. Can not use the homes.
- Soak the solution for 30 minutes.
- Massage with a soft brush.
- To add luster to zircons, immerse jewelry with stones in an ammonia solution. No need to wash in plain water after cleaning.
- To clean diamonds and rubies, use special pastes sold in jewelry stores.
- Do not boil products with glued stones.
- To remove the greasy base from rocks, rub them with a cotton swab dipped in refined gasoline.
Transparent gold chains and bracelets
The difficulty in cleaning is that there is dirt between the links of the chain or bracelet. These deposits are difficult to remove with a brush. It is best to use strong materials.
Instructions for cleaning a gold chain and bracelet:
- Pour 200 ml of hot water into a pot.
- Pour 50 ml of vinegar into the liquid and add 30 g of baking soda.
- Get the jewelry into the solution right away.
- Keep for 3 hours.
- Rinse with a mild ammonia solution and dry with a soft cloth.
If the jewelry is very dirty and there are deposits of grease and dust between the links, try making a cleaning paste. To do this, crush chalk cloth with a rolling pin and add petroleum jelly to it. Stir until a homogeneous ointment has been obtained. Add a spoonful of water and liquid soap. Apply the glue to the fabric and rub the chain. Rinse with water.
Cleaning of dull gold objects
The peculiarity of jewelry made of precious matte metal is that the surface cannot be polished, so it is worth avoiding scratches. Do not clean with abrasives, toothpaste, or powder. Do not use a hard-bristled toothbrush.
Instructions for cleaning matte gold at home:
- 10 g of lime is dissolved in 100 ml of water (do not use lime-free lime).
- Pour 10 g of salt into the solution and add the same amount of baking soda.
- Leave the solution for 3 days.
- Then soak the jewelry in the solution for 2 hours.
You can remove dirt from matte surfaces with ammonia. Buy a 25% solution.
Using unique products to clean gold
You can use liquids and pastes to decorate your jewelry. Typically, pasty compounds are used to remove stubborn dirt and gently polish the surface. The composition of the adhesive often contains soft abrasives.
How to use a gold cleaning solution
Aggressive fluids based on acids and alkalis are used to restore jewelry.
Types of solutions for cleaning gold:
- Soap solution … Pour 220 ml of water into a container and add a spoonful of soap shavings and garnish. Put the pot on the fire and let it simmer for 5 minutes. Don’t forget the products. Otherwise, you risk getting burnt jewelry that is unlikely to be cleaned even by an expert. This solution is not suitable for cleaning heavily soiled items.
- Sugar solution … 50 g of sugar is dissolved in 200 ml of boiling water. Soak the jewelry in the solution for 2 days. Rinse in a mild ammonia solution.
- Peroxide and ammonia solution … To do this, you must prepare a solution of hydrogen peroxide, ammonia, and water. Place the jewelry in the solution and let it simmer for 10 minutes. Note that you should use the most concentrated peroxide solution you can find in a pharmacy.
Cleans gold with alcohol
For cleaning, usually not medical, but ammonia is used. It is an aqueous ammonia solution with a characteristic pungent odor.
Ways to use ammonia to care for gold jewelry:
- Ammonia solution in water … For cleaning, ammonia 25% is used; you can buy it at the pharmacy. Just put jewelry in liquid and soak in it for 1 hour. Wash jewelry with water and dry.
- Ammonia with soap … Pour 100 ml of water into a tub and add a spoonful of baby shampoo. Pour in 30 ml of ammonia (10% solution). Immerse the parts in liquid and keep them for 2 hours.
- Ammonia with peroxide … Put gold in a container and pour 150 ml of hot water. Add an ampoule of ammonia, 35 ml hydrogen peroxide (30% solution), and 10 g of washing powder. Close the container with a lid and shake thoroughly for 3-5 minutes. Rinse the jewelry and dry.
- Magnesium and ammonia … Mix equal amounts of magnesium solution, glycerin, and aqueous ammonia solution in a bowl. Saturate cotton and rub the jewelry. Do not use to clean jewelry with stones.
Purification of gold with peroxide
Hydrogen peroxide is a substance that has essential and acidic properties. Therefore, the reagent is used to clean gold jewelry. Peroxide is usually mixed with ammonia or soapy water.
Non-standard methods for cleaning gold with peroxide:
- Peroxide + borax … Pour 150 ml of hot water into a container and add 15 g of borax. It is sodium borate, which is a weakly alkaline salt. Pour 30 ml of 30% hydrogen peroxide into the same container. Leave it for 3 hours. Rinse in cold water.
- Peroxide + soda … Mix 100 ml of water, 20 g of baking soda, and 30 ml of peroxide in a bowl. Put the jewelry in a bowl and let it wait for 2 hours. Rinse with water and dry.
Purification of gold with soda
Under no circumstances use the abrasive properties of baking soda; because of this, the ring or chain will lose its shine. Baking soda is a rough abrasive that will scratch soft gold. Usually, soda is used as a chemical component when cleaning gold.
Instructions for using baking soda to clean jewelry:
- Soda + foil … This is a pretty fun way to clean jewelry. Pour 200 ml of hot water into a plate. Place foil on the bottom of the dish and add 30 g of baking soda. Fold the jewelry and leave it overnight. In the morning, rinse under running water and pat dry.
- Soda water solution … This is the easiest way. For cleaning, you need to prepare a 10% soda solution. Pour 15 g of baking soda into 150 ml of warm water. Stir well and dip the decorations into the liquid. Boil for 5 minutes.
Liquid for cleaning gold
Non-standard methods of cleaning gold at home are very effective. If you want to clean very dirty jewelry, use one of the methods.
Cleaning heavily soiled gold jewelry with liquid:
- Photographic equipment … Pour 50 ml of water into a container and the same amount of the solution to fix the images in the photo. Continue this for 20 minutes. Rinse in water and dry. This method will help remove dark spots from jewelry.
- Onion juice … You can use a natural liquid – onion juice to clean your jewelry. Grate 2 onions and squeeze the juice with cheesecloth. Place the rings in the liquid for 30 minutes. Then rinse with cold water and dry.
- Special cleaning fluid … You can buy it in jewelry stores. The product contains aggressive substances that bind dirt and dark spots.
Purification of precious metals with salt
No salt crystals are used to clean jewelry. It is necessary to prepare a solution. To do this, heat 100 ml of water to almost a boil. Add 60 g of table salt to the liquid. Dip the jewelry in the solution and leave it overnight. In the morning, rinse the jewelry with cold water and dry it.
Folkways to purify gold
Our grandmother used unorthodox but effective methods to refine gold:
- Rub the ring with lipstick and dry thoroughly with a soft cloth. Fat and beeswax in the lipstick perfectly remove stubborn dirt and oily stains.
- Anion Sodium solution is used to remove iodine stains from gold jewelry. You can buy it at the pharmacy.
- You can easily remove dark spots with a woolen cloth soaked in a borax solution.
- You can clean the ring with stones with soda. In this case, the solution does not need to be prepared. Dampen the circle with water and dip it in baking soda. Squeeze lemon juice on the garnish. During a chemical reaction, dirt from depressions and pits will disappear away.
- For a shiny wedding ring, you can use lemon wedges. Rub the crust over the ring, and squeeze out the juice.
Rules for the operation of gold jewelry
Of course, if your ring gets tarnished, it won’t be challenging to clean it using folk remedies or store-bought liquids. But if you follow the basic rules, you can enjoy the purity and shine of your jewelry for longer.
Rules for wearing gold jewelry:
- Be sure to remove the gold when applying hand cream.
- If seawater gets into the chain, the lock can break due to corrosion of the metal spring. So swim in the ocean without jewelry.
- Take off your jewelry when you clean the house and wash the dishes.
- Water will not harm the gold, but dirty water can leave stains that cannot wash off.
- Clean your gold jewelry once a month. In this case, keeping the rings and bracelets in soapy water is sufficient.
- Coca-Cola contains phosphoric acid. That’s why it’s enough to dip the ring in the drink for 30 minutes and then wash it with cold water.
- If the jewelry is not very dirty, you can wipe it off with a cotton swab dipped in vodka or rubbing alcohol.
- Do not use tooth powder or paste with abrasives for cleaning.
- Contact a goldsmith to remove stubborn impurities.
- Remove jewelry when applying cream or makeup.
- Take a shower and bath without rings or chains.
- Use figurines or small cabinets to store jewelry.
- Try to keep the chains from breaking. The hooks can’t get tangled; because of this, they are scratched. If stored incorrectly, knots may appear.
You can order a unique cabinet in the workshop to store jewelry. Do not try to put jewelry and gold together. From such a neighborhood, the jewelry will darken; spots may appear on the gold. Take care of gold jewelry, and they will delight you with their shine for a long time!