Baking soda; how to use whitening to teeth? What is soda whitening, and what pros and cons? Indications and contraindications for the procedure? Methods to lighten tooth enamel. Results and reviews.
Soda whitening is an effective and straightforward method to lighten and remove plaque from the tooth enamel. The technique has become very popular, and the result is tangible after the first operation. You can do it yourself at home and take precautions. Whitening has long-term effects but can partially damage the teeth. That is why it is recommended to visit a dentist for a consultation soon.
What is teeth whitening with baking soda?
Traditional baking soda works to remove dirt and plaque mechanically. Small powder particles act as abrasives. Even dentists use it to clean the teeth but in combination with a powerful stream of air and water.
Teeth whitening with activated carbon is carried out similarly. But in the case of the latter, blackheads can remain on the gums, and when sodium bicarbonate is used, such problems will not arise.
Homemade teeth whitening with baking soda is suitable for those who have started to darken due to natural factors, such as constant consumption of tea and coffee, improper oral hygiene, and old age. When the enamel is yellow from birth or smoking, baking soda for teeth whitening will not be effective.
There are two standard techniques for bleaching with powder – using soda in its natural form or as a unique solution. It can achieve noticeable effects after 1-2 procedures, is no need to be done often. Meetings can be held once every 7 days for 2-4 months.
Before teeth whitening, it is worth weighing the pros and cons of the procedure. So the advantages include:
- Availability and reasonable prices … You don’t have to look for ingredients in stores, as they are everywhere and are cheap.
- A striking result … The effect is comparable to professional cleaning, which also uses soda.
- Quick results … After the first operation, there will be changes for the better. Carrying out such cleaning sessions regularly will help to achieve a more permanent effect.
Among the disadvantages or consequences of whitening:
- Over time, the enamel becomes covered with minor scratches and cracks, as soda is abrasive.
- Teeth start to darken a few days after brushing.
- Rashes and bleeding in the gums may appear, and sometimes – hypersensitivity in the lip area.
- Increased tooth sensitivity develops, which is a natural consequence of the thinning of the enamel.
See also what activated charcoal teeth are whitening.
Indications and contraindications for teeth whitening with soda
Before whitening, it is better to consult a doctor and ensure that the tooth enamel is thick enough and not prone to decay and that the procedure is allowed for you.
You can whiten your teeth with baking soda in the following cases:
- Daily consumption of tea and coffee … Ingredients in these drinks can leave a yellow coating on the enamel and stain existing tartar.
- Frequent mouth rinsing… Saliva moisturizes and maintains the necessary acid balance. Regular mouth rinsing to remove unpleasant odors or food residues can damage the enamel and cause darkening.
- Inadequate, improper oral hygiene … If you brush your teeth infrequently or incorrectly, food residues can accumulate between them and deposit on the enamel as plaque.
The baking soda method helps in many cases, although it does not eliminate tartar and bad breath. In these cases, it is better to consult a doctor and undergo a thorough examination to identify the causes.
Whitening teeth with baking soda is not always possible. This method will not be effective in the case of enamel darkening due to smoking abuse, genetic predisposition, or certain diseases.
Pregnant and lactating mothers cannot use the procedure, and people with bleeding gums, gingivitis, and other oral cavity diseases (allergy, tooth decay, cracks, or fluorosis).
If the sensitivity of the gums increases after several sessions or begins to bleed, should stop the whitening procedure altogether.
Important! Suppose you are interested in whether it is possible to whiten your teeth with baking soda. In that case, you should consult a dentist and make sure that there are no contraindications.
How to whiten teeth with baking soda?
Before whitening your teeth with baking soda at home, you must remember that you cannot perform the procedure every day. The best frequency is once a week.
Soda cleaning is best done with cotton, sticks, or gauze. A toothbrush can significantly increase abrasiveness.
Dry soda suits the procedure. It is necessary to moisten the brush slightly and apply a little powder on top. If you don’t like the aftertaste, you can add some pasta.
Alternatively, you can use a cotton swab moistened with water and then dipped in baking soda. In any case, minimizing powder ingestion on the mucous membrane is necessary to exclude burns.
There are other recipes for whitening teeth with soda, in particular, using additional ingredients that increase the cleaning effect:
- With toothpaste … This is the simplest but most effective method and is repeated twice a week. Mix the ingredients before you whiten your teeth with baking soda and toothpaste. Then you need to brush your teeth with the resulting acid mixture, wait for 10 minutes and then rinse your mouth with warm water.
- With hydrogen peroxide … The recipe allows you to achieve visible results even after the first session. Teeth whitening with soda and peroxide is carried out the same way as in the previous version. Still, the main thing to remember is 1 tsp. Soda is mixed with a 3% peroxide solution. This mixture is suitable for classic brushes. Duration – no more than 3 minutes.
- With lemon … This is a pretty effective recipe with tangible results, but it has some adverse effects on the enamel. To whiten teeth with soda and lemon, add a little lemon juice to 1 tablespoon of the powder. Apply the resulting mixture to the brush and brush your teeth thoroughly. Then rinse your mouth. Should not repeat this treatment more than once every 10 days. And if there are sores or injuries in the mouth, you must give it up completely.
- With film … This is an exciting and unusual way, but often not worth using. To whiten your teeth with foil and baking soda, you also need salt and toothpaste. Use the foil to create two “molds” to cover the upper and lower teeth. Mix the dough, baking soda, and salt in a ratio of 2:1:1, fill the molds with the mixture and attach them to the teeth. Leave in this condition for 20 minutes. Remove the film, rinse your mouth and brush your teeth again. Bleaching them with soda and sticking them with foil is pretty simple in a month. But first, it is recommended that you get permission from your doctor.
- With strawberry juice … Strawberry juice contributes to noticeable and lasting results. Before teeth whitening with baking soda, mix 1/2 teaspoon of the powder with some pre-chopped strawberries. The mixture is applied evenly to the surface. After 5 minutes, the teeth are brushed with fluoride paste, and the mouth is rinsed with cold water.
- With lemon juice and hydrogen peroxide … If you’re wondering if baking soda can whiten your teeth, try a combination method that boosts the effect. In this case, 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda, the same amount of lemon juice, and a few drops of hydrogen peroxide are used. The recipe allows you to achieve lasting results. Still, you must be careful not to perform the procedure more than 2 times every 10 days. It is also necessary to remember that salt is formed with a mixture of soda and lemon juice, which over time destroys the enamel. With much peroxide, bleaching is faster, but the combination has a negative effect and often causes many unpleasant consequences.
- With apple cider vinegar … The procedure is carried out quickly and easily; for this, it is enough to mix all the ingredients in a small container, apply the product to the enamel, wait 10 minutes and rinse the mouth. Don’t forget to brush your teeth with paste after bleaching with baking soda.
Results of teeth whitening with baking soda
According to reviews, teeth whitening with soda is quite an effective method, provided that all recommendations and practices of the procedure are followed.
Can achieve sustained and more permanent effects after the second or third session. Tooth enamel becomes lighter by 2-3 tones, but only after two courses with a break of several weeks.
To increase the effect of teeth whitening with baking soda, you should take care of the oral cavity after the procedure with toothpaste with high mineral content. Choosing those with a large amount of fluoride is better, which protects the surface from aggressive effects and makes the teeth stronger.
After whitening your teeth with soda, you need to reconsider your diet. Adding foods with a high concentration of calcium and fluoride to the menu is recommended. It is worth giving up cigarettes, excessive consumption of tea and coffee, sour fruits, and juices.
In addition, you need to monitor the oral cavity condition better, treat gum disease in time and eliminate diseases that appear.
It is also recommended to take vitamin complexes, especially when it comes to sensitive teeth or vitamin deficiency.
Attention! To evaluate the result and how effective the procedure was, taking a photo before and after teeth whitening with soda is recommended.
Authentic Teeth Whitening With Soda Reviews
Many homes use this tooth enamel whitening method at home, which is why the reviews of teeth whitening with soda are primarily favorable.
Marina, 33 years old
I am a terrible coffee lover and drink at least 3-5 cups of strong coffee daily. Over time, I began to notice that my teeth turned yellow and began to look not pretty at all. There is no extra money to visit the dentist, so I decided to use folk methods and a recipe that includes soda. I chose the option where only toothpaste and powder are needed. The course was a month, and I performed 6 procedures. The enamel expressed two tones.
Oleg, 36 years old
I stopped smoking cigarettes 2 years ago, but the consequences continued. For example, yellow teeth. In this regard, I decided to use bleach with soda and peroxide. I did not notice any particular result before and after teeth whitening with soda. On the contrary, allergic reactions and bleeding occurred. I can’t say anything good.
Daria, 25 years old
I believe that a snow-white smile is a key to success. My teeth are healthy, even, and beautiful, but due to frequent consumption of juice and tea, they have become darker. I immediately decided to try the recipe for teeth whitening with soda and lemon juice, as I heard many positive reviews about this method. I spent 2 courses with a break of one and a half months and was quite satisfied. My teeth are whiter. But now, I drink less tea and coffee, floss, and rinse my mouth after meals